London Olympics 2012 and the Athletes from India!
by Elizabeth Menon
CONGRATULATIONS to all who participated at the Olympics!
India won six medals:
1. Silver for Susheel Kumar (66 Kg Freestyle Wrestling)
2. Silver for Vijayakumar (Shooting 25 Metre Rapid Fire Pistol)
3. Bronze for Gagan Narang (Shooting 10 Metre Air Rifle)
4. Bronze for Saina Nehwal (Badminton Singles)
5. Bronze for Mary Com (51 Kg Boxing);
6. Bronze for Yogeshwar Dutt (60 Kg Freestyle Wrestling)
Gold, Silver or Bronze at the Olympics -- they are all most prestigious and we should be proud of them all and equally, for those athletes who were unfortunate in getting any medals! I only hope that the Government and the Sports authorities improve the training facilities and pay our athletes a good regular salary so that they can spend their time in training, in stead of balancing to earn a living and train at the same time! Promising to give jobs after winning an event is not good enough, but putting more money for the welfare of the athletes -- coaching, food, nutrition, free medical care including doctors, Psychologist and physiotherapist, clothing and equipment and improved facilities for National and International travel must be the priority for our authorities